Sunday, June 21, 2009

First Impressions

I remember my first day in college, first day in high school and many other 'first days' or 'first times'. Lets get straight to the point. Today's post will be on the many 1st impressions i have created among my peers, lecturers and others that have walked in and out of my life. To start, i shall take the freshest memory of my first day in college. According to one of my peer, he had the impression that i was a quiet and innocent girl. Another thought that i was nerdy and fierce >.<

Some impressions of me are true while others are not. The friends that thought i was nerdy, innocent and quiet told me that they realised they were wrong after 2 weeks of getting to know me. LOL? Did i intentionally send out messages or a body language to make them think i was quiet or sweet or even intimidating? NO! What made them come to these conclusions? Body language played a major role. There are times when i can look very intimidating. This happens when im deep in thought. Unintentionally, i put on a serious face and might communicate the wrong message to people.

Your personality also helps others form 1st impressions of you. In high school, i was outgoing and loved being around people. This made those who didn't know me have an impression that im friendly and socialable. This was also the reason why there were times when students in my high school would say hi to me and i would realise that i don't even know them! The same reason why sometimes i get people from my high school or college adding me on facebook when i don't actually know them.

Unfortunately, there were occasions that people in high school had an impression that i was snobbish. The fact that i held many posts in ECA's didn't help much. Some people just have this preconcieved ideas that student leaders think their popular and are therefore snobbish and stuck up. This was not true about me. But the pre-formed judgements or pre-conceived ideas people have are just inevitable and play a role in their first impressions of you.

Finally, past experiences that humans have also affect the way they form 1st impressions of you. For example, i went for a practical piano exam last year. Young people being carefree and casual, sometimes tend to 'under-dress' for occasions. Fortunately, i was informed in advance to dress formally and talk politely to the examiner. The effort to comply to a suitable dress code actually gave the examiner a better impression of me. He commented in my marksheet that the formal attire i wore made a positive impression of me because he had good experiences with exam candidates who dressed formally and horid memories of those who walked in with jeans or shorts.

First impressions are irreversible. Yes, one might be able to prove to that person that his or her 1st impression of you was wrong. His or her attitude towards you may or may not change. But bottom line, the first impression was already formed and one can do nothing to change that because you will have no more first-time-meeting-occasions with that person.

What first impressions have you created?


Written 9hrs and 9mins before the human comm midterm paper by,
jane tai =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home